The Cozumel Chrysalis Group is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing financial scholastic support for the island’s students. Mexican public school students must provide their own uniforms, school shoes and school supplies. High school students must pay an inscription fee for each semester. Many families in Cozumel struggle to send their children to school.
The Cozumel Chrysalis Group assists those students who show a desire to better their lives through education. Learning English in school prepares them to earn a better living in this tourist based economy. Breaking the cycle of poverty that they grew up in is one of the greatests achievements our students can make, helping themselves and their families to live a better life.
Did you know…
- Chrysalis began with a handful of women assisting 10 students in 1995.
- Our organization has grown involving local nationals, educators, Cozumel residents from various nationalities and with the generous help of local businesses and visitors to Cozumel.
- Currently we sponsor over 300 students annually, in primary, secondary and preparatory schools.
- Chrysalis members work on a strictly volunteer basis and receive no salary.
- Our overhead includes only the discounted fees of our accountant and auditor, as required by law. All other monies go to help our students.
- No money changes hands between Chrysalis and the students’ families, ensuring all assistance Chrysalis provides is used solely for students’ educational needs.
- Packets of school supplies are provided to designated students just before the start of the school year.
- Chrysalis contracts with local merchants for discounted prices and pays them directly for shoes and uniforms picked up by our students.
- Special inscription and exam fees are paid directly to the schools.
Additional assistance from Cozumel locals and visitors is always welcome!